Take a deep dive into jazz, Chinese-American, Latin, old-time, gypsy jazz, and genre-crossing styles with CMC faculty from the Cultural Traditions Department. The sessions offer engaging discussions, inspiring demonstrations, and musical tips in a creative format. Participants are invited to interact with the faculty through a Q & A. CMC Sessions are free and open to all levels of music students.
Meet these talented and inspiring faculty at the CMC Sessions:
- February 9 Maestro and Nola Curtis, The Impact of Black Culture on Ensemble Singing
- February 23 Jon Jang, Traditions in Transformation: The Musical Language of Jon Jang
- March 9 Charlie Gurke, Clave for Improvisers
- March 23 Miguel Govea, Community Arts and Education
- April 13 Omar Ledezma Jr., The Music of Rubén Blades
- April 27 Erik Pearson, Banjo History and Styles
- May 11 Scott Feichter, Gypsy Jazz Legacy: Past and Present
- May 25 Allison Lovejoy, Genre-crossing: From Classical to Blues to Rock
The Music of Rubén Blades with Omar Ledezma Jr.
April 13, 2021, 6:00pm (PST)
Join talented vocalist/percussionist Omar Ledezma Jr. in a conversation and listening session on the music of award-winning singer Rubén Blades, who has had an influence on Ledezma’s development as a performing artist. In this workshop you will learn more about the personal background of Panamanian born Rubén Blades and how his upbringing influenced his music and trajectory becoming a renowned singer, songwriter, Harvard University alum, Panamanian presidential candidate, and Tourism Minister. Ledezma will analyze selected songs to focus on rhythmic structure, lyricism, and the significant social messages associated with the work of Blades. Finally, Ledezma will perform excerpts of some of Blades’s most famous songs on voice and percussion. Participants will learn about how social history impacted the life and artistic work of Rubén Blades and also learn about key ingredients to creating and performing vocals in Afro-Caribbean music.
This event will be conducted online via video conferencing. RSVP to receive the link to join, emailed prior to the start of the discussion.